Our Broccoli and Potato Cakes are a simple and healthy dinner for your toddler and kids. They taste delicious and you will have them ready in 20 minutes without making a mess in the kitchen. All you need are three simple ingredients: Broccoli, potatoes and eggs.
Broccoli is one of the vegetables that you want to include in your toddler or kid’s diet regularly as it’s one of the healthiest food on the planet. Even having a bit of a sour taste, toddlers will usually love it. We give our toddler steamed broccoli quite often, he loves it and it’s really healthy. So a win-win. Broccoli is a great source of vitamins, fibre and potassium.
If you have a fussy eater at home, this recipe works perfectly too. We mash the broccoli and potatoes with a fork as our son Luca likes it like that, but you can always blend the broccoli so it will be nice and small. If you want to change the broccoli for another ingredient, we recommend you try using cauliflower.
Another little trick that you can try to make dinner time more enjoyable for your little one is to shape the cakes. Once they are cooked, leave to cool and cut them using their favourite cookie cutter. I have different cookie cutters at home to make some dinners a bit more fun and it works so far!
These cakes will stay good for 2-3 days in the fridge so you can make an extra portion for the next day. They reheat well.
Perfect for BLW
If you are following the Baby Led Weaning method, this dinner works fantastic. The cakes are easy to pick and have a great texture. I have been cooking these broccoli and potato cakes for Luca since he was around 9 months old. He loves them every time. Check our other BLW-friendly recipes:
- 10 Healthy Meal Ideas for Toddlers
- Katsu curry with cauliflower nuggets
- Vegan lentil bolognese pasta
- Vegan creamy mushroom pasta
A little treat after the meal?
We love having something sweet after lunch so we prepare different things that we can all enjoy in our family. Once a week we have this amazing chocolate mousse made with healthy ingredients and no-added-sugar.
Broccoli and Potato Cakes
- 200 gr potatoes
- 100 gr broccoli
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes. Add them into a medium-size pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and then lower to a simmer.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets and steam them on the top of the potatoes. If you have an electric steamer, steam both, broccoli and potato.
- When the potatoes are soft enough to mash and the broccoli has softened, drain the potatoes until all the water is removed, pour the potatoes into a large bowl and add the broccoli.
- Whisk two eggs and add them into the bowl. Add the nutmeg and mix all the ingredients until everything is thoroughly combined. At this point, you can adjust with salt. We don't add any salt though, as our son enjoys them without it.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add some of the mixture (small pancake size). Cook for a few minutes on each side.
- If you want to give them a nice shape, leave them to cool for a couple of minutes and shape them with a cookie-cutter. Serve and enjoy!