Do you want to cook an amazing Creamy Pasta for your toddler or kid? You are in the right place. Our toddler Luca loves this Vegan Creamy Mushroom sauce and so do we! If you want to try making a more adult-friendly version of this pasta check here.
Pasta is an easy option if you are following the Baby-Led Weaning method. It is messy, we won’t lie, but it’s fun to see them enjoying so much, getting all dirty and eating on their own. He has already tried quite a lot of different kinds of pasta: red lentil, chickpea, gluten-free, egg pasta, whole-wheat or fresh. He likes them all, as long as we make a yummy sauce to go with it.
We have many different yummy toddler-friendly sauces that you can cook in 30 minutes which are full of fresh ingredients and that you can later freeze to have for another day (which is amazingly convenient). Check our Vegan Mac & Cheese or our Vegan Lentil Bolognese.
Lactose is something that does not go good on me or Luca. He has been fed with breast milk and soy milk from birth. I was not allowed to eat any dairy while breastfeeding as it would give him an upset tummy. We are discovering together different ways of making creamy dishes without dairy and I find them way more nutritious and just as enjoyable.
How is this Creamy Pasta healthy for my kids?
This creamy pasta sauce is a good way of giving your toddler a healthy meal. It contains a good amount of vitamin B12 with the nutritional yeast flakes and protein, iron, magnesium and other properties found in cashew nuts. As well the miso paste that has amazing benefits for your little one gut health.
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta for Toddlers and Kids
- 60 gr cashews soaked in water
- 120 ml water
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 leek or onion sliced
- 4-5 mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg shredded
- Mix in a blender the soaked cashews, water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and miso paste. Blend all the ingredients together until smooth consistency.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil into low-medium heat and add the leek,mushrooms, and nutmeg. Cook for a few minutes until the leek has softened and the mushrooms are fully cooked. If it sticks to the pan, instead of more oil you can add a little bit of water.
- Add the blended mixture with the leek and mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes.
- Transfer the sauce into the blender again, and blend for a few seconds. You do not need a really smooth sauce, we like it better when it still has some bits that Luca can pick and eat. Adjust the consistency of the sauce to your toddler or kid's taste.
- Boil the pasta following the package instructions, rinse with cold water and add to the sauce.
- If you do not have miso paste, you can leave it out. You could always add a pinch of salt if your toddler is already eating salt.
- Please, be advised that this recipe contains nuts. Do not cook this recipe for your toddler if they have not tried cashew nuts before.
- We recommend that you do not cook white pasta for your toddler or kid as it contains a high amount of sugar. It is way better to cook whole-wheat pasta or pasta made out of healthy grains such as quinoa, lentil, chickpea, brown rice, etc.