If your toddler or kid loves trying new food, our Katsu Curry with Cauliflower Nuggets is the perfect dish to start introducing a wider variety of flavours. It is made with fresh ingredients and makes a perfect meal for the whole family.
We have seen that one of the things that work best when trying to give your toddler new food is if you are having the same meal. Our toddler Luca always loves eating what we are having. We keep creating a toddler version of our favourite dishes for him to enjoy with the family. For us, we have a more adult-friendly Katsu Curry recipe, have a look here.
Why is our Katsu Curry perfect for your toddler or kid?
- Our Katsu Curry for toddlers and kids is made with homemade stock. The flavour you can get from homemade stock is difficult to get from a cube or shop-bought pack plus you want to give your little ones the best quality food. Check out our easy homemade stock recipe here. It is easy to make and you can cook a big batch to freeze to always have ready.
- We make homemade cauliflower nuggets. We bread the cauliflower florets with fine breadcrumbs and egg, no salt, sugar or any additive, and cook it in the oven with a little bit of olive oil. They are easy to prepare and are really scrumptious. Our toddler is not a big fan of cauliflower but loves cauliflower nuggets
- It is vegetarian. Even if your family eats meat and fish, this recipe is a great meat-free meal if you are looking for ways of reducing meat consumption. It can be made vegan using egg substitute when breading the cauliflower. We recommend 2 tbsp ground flax and 6 tbsp water mixed together.
- It is dairy-free. Our toddler has difficulties digesting dairy products and we know this is a problem that many parents encounter.
You can serve this dish with rice, noodles or potatoes for example. Luca loves his Katsu Curry with rice noodles as they are easy to pick up and a perfect combination for the curry sauce.
Katsu Curry with Cauliflower Nuggets for Toddlers and Kids
Ingredients for the Katsu Sauce
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 1 cm ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 200 ml homemade stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
Ingredients for the Cauliflower Nuggets
- 1/2 small cauliflower cut into florets
- Bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 eggs
- Heat one tablespoon of cocnut oil in a pan on medium heat and add the onion, carrot, garlic and ginger. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Add the curry and turmeric and cook for a further minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the carrot is soft.
- Add the coconut milk and then transfer the sauce to a blender. Blend until you have a smooth consistency.
- Prepare the bread crumbs in a bowl and whisk the eggs in a separate bowl. To bread the cauliflower florets, dip them first into the egg and after into the bread crumbs so they cover the whole floret. Repeat the process for the rest of the cauliflower.
- Place the breaded cauliflower on an oven tray with a little bit of oil. Cook in the oven for around 30 minutes at 180C. Before taking it out, make sure the cauliflower is cooked inside and crispy on the outside.
Pin it for later!