This is the perfect Vegan Mac and Cheese you have been looking for. Who said we could still not enjoy a delicious mac and cheese without it containing any actual cheese?
The good thing about cooking is that you can experiment with an unlimited number of ingredients to create exceptional flavours. And let me tell you, it is normally the plant-based ingredients that bring out the most flavour in our dishes.
This vegan mac & cheese is the perfect dinner that the whole family will love. It is dairy-free, you can make it gluten-free and it is toddler and kid-friendly, as it does not contain sugar or a high amount of salt.
We decided to bring a bit of green into our vegan mac and cheese by adding broccoli florets. Our toddler Luca loves broccoli and would eat it just boiled, but for us, it is more enjoyable when we mix it with some other ingredients.
- One of the main ingredients for this recipe is soaked cashew nuts. We do not soak them overnight because we are not that organised (new parents life), but if you are like us, you just need to soak your cashews in boiled water for 10-15 minutes.
- For tastier breadcrumbs, we toasted them in some olive oil and sweet paprika. For this recipe, fine breadcrumbs work better.
- This recipe contains a small amount of salt because we cook it for the whole family, including our toddler, but you can always add more to it.
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 200 gr cashews soaked
- 400 ml water
- 3 tablespoon yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 200 gr broccoli cut in florets
- 300 gr macaroni vegan pasta
- Combine in a blender the soaked cashews, water, yeast flakes, lemon juice, dijon mustard, miso paste, turmeric, salt and pepper and blend until you have a smooth consistency.
- Heat some oil in a pan (we normally use olive oil) to medium heat and add the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes before it starts browning and add the sauce. Stir for one minute and turn off the heat.
- In a large pot bring salted water to boil and add the macaroni pasta. Steam the broccoli for 4 minutes over the pasta water. Before you drain the pasta, save some of the starchy water.
- Mix the pasta, broccoli and sauce in a large pot and adjust the consistency with the saved starchy water. Transfer to a baking dish, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and grill in the oven for a few minutes.
For more vegan creamy pasta dishes, check our Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta.