Being vegetarian, many of our dishes contain Tofu. We cook tofu in many different ways, but this one recipe works perfectly for the majority of our dishes, so it’s a recipe we like to follow to prepare our tofu.
Tofu can be quite bland if it’s not seasoned or marinated properly. We sometimes cook it in a frying pan with just some soy sauce, but we always end up adding other ingredients to it. For this recipe, we marinate the tofu with soy sauce, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder and ginger powder. The ingredients we use are quite simple and we pretty much always have them in the kitchen. It makes it easy to be able to prepare this tofu anytime we want (which is quite often). These are the staple ingredients, but we sometimes add to the marinade depending on what are we using the tofu for. You can add maple syrup for a sweeter taste or chilli powder for a spicy kick.
You can add this baked tofu to your salads, curries, stir-fries or buddha bowls for example. It can be served on its own as well! It’s easy to prepare and will be cooked in 20 minutes. Here are some dishes that we make with our crispy baked tofu:
- Vegan Palak Tofu Paneer. The cheesiness taste from the nutritional yeast on the tofu works perfectly to substitute the paneer cheese in our Vegan Palak.
- Massaman Curry with Tofu. Another perfect option to cook our Crispy Baked Tofu. You can add some maple syrup in the marinade for this curry.
- Asian noodle soups like our Vegan Pho or our Miso and Tahini Ramen. We love adding some sesame oil to the recipe when cooking the tofu for our favourite noodle soups.
How to prepare the perfect Crispy Baked Tofu
You will need to use extra-firm or firm tofu. Try to always get good quality fresh tofu, which should always be free from genetically modified ingredients. Squeeze the extra moisture out of the tofu by wrapping it in a paper towel. Change the paper towel if it gets too wet. You can add some pressure to the top, to get all the water out, for example using a frying pan as a weight.
Cut the tofu into your desired size and shape. For salads, we prefer using small cubes, for curries or stir-fries medium size cubes, for noodle soups we like bigger squares of thinly sliced into triangles. Just adapt the shape to the dish you are going to use the tofu for.
Marinate the tofu with the ingredients, and mix it with your hand so all the pieces of tofu are evenly coated. Bake it in the oven, using baking paper/silicone mat and leaving enough space in between the tofu pieces. Add it to your dish and enjoy, simple and tasty!
Crispy Baked Tofu
- 250 gr firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce use gluten-free soy sauce for gluten-free option
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Squeeze the excess water out by wrapping the tofu in paper towel. After, cut it into cubes or any other desired shape.
- Transfer the tofu into a mixing bowl and add the soy sauce, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder and ginger powder. Mix all the ingredients with your hands until the tofu is evenly coated.
- Lay the tofu onto a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. Depending on the shape you cut your tofu, it might need a bit longer.
- Add to your dish, or serve it on it's own and enjoy.