Pico de Gallo or Salsa Fresca is a Mexican salsa made with fresh ingredients. Our Mango Pico de Gallo is sweet, tangy, refreshing, healthy and the perfect salsa to add to your tortilla chips, nachos, or tacos.
What is Pico de Gallo?
Pico de Gallo means Rooster's Beak and is a type of Mexican Salsa (Salsa Fresca or Salsa Cruda) made with fresh ingredients. The classic recipe is made with tomatoes, onion, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, and lime.
As much as we love the classic recipe, we wanted to try giving this recipe a tropical twist and mango was the perfect option. This tropical fruit pairs amazingly with the rest of the fresh ingredients.
Mango Pico de Gallo has delicious sweet flavors that combine perfectly with the tangy and spicy flavors that are already in the traditional pico de gallo recipes.
Our Homemade Mango Pico de Gallo is:
- Mildly Spicy
- Originally a dip (can be served as a side or salad)
- Easy to prepare
You just need seven ingredients to make a deliciously fresh pico de gallo.
Fresh tomatoes. We are really lucky to live in Spain where we can get juicy and sweet red tomatoes almost year-round. Try to get tomatoes that have a deep red color and feel just a little bit soft on the inside. Roma tomatoes or plum tomatoes are great options for your Pico de Gallo.
Red onion. When adding raw onions to dishes, red onion is the one you are looking for. If you still find the onion too sharp-tasting, you can leave it soaking in some water while preparing the rest of the ingredients. Consider using white onion if you don't have red onion at home.
Mango. For this recipe, you want to get a still firm but ripe mango. If your mango feels still too hard you can leave it at room temperature in a paper bag for 2 days or until ripe. You need a sweet mango for your salsa fresca.
Cilantro. You will need fresh cilantro for this recipe.
Jalapeño peppers. This type of pepper is our favorite to use when making Pico de Gallo. They are spicy but not too overpowering if you remove the seeds. If you like your salsa really spicy, maybe you can use Serrano Peppers. They have a spicier flavor and are a great option for this recipe too. Other spicy peppers you can use are habanero pepper, or even bell pepper for a mild alternative.
Lime. Fresh lime juice makes Pico de Gallo a beautiful and tangy salsa. Don't leave this ingredient out!
Salt. We prefer using sea salt for fresh recipes.
One of the most important things when making this Pico de Gallo with tropical flavors is how you prepare the ingredients. You want fresh salsa, not a salad.
- Finely chop tomatoes, onion, mango, cilantro, and jalapeño. We recommend using a Mandoline to chop all the ingredients equally.
- Transfer them into a large bowl, add the lime juice and salt, and combine well.
- Leave in the fridge to chill for at least 20 minutes and your Mango Pico de Gallo or salsa will be ready to enjoy!
If you have trouble cutting your mango, you can have a look at Simply Recipes as they explain how to cut a mango step-by-step.
- Add pineapple instead of mango. We love mango, but we've made pineapple Pico de Gallo at home and it's equally delicious. If you cannot find the perfect mango, think about this alternative. Pico de Gallo with fruit it's just amazing.
- Add avocado to your Pico de Gallo. You can serve your Pico de Gallo with guacamole and tortillas or simply add some avocado cut into cubes to your mango salsa.
- Use cherry tomatoes. Cooking with cherry tomatoes is fun! If you cannot find Roma Tomatoes or juicy and ripe tomatoes, get cherry tomatoes as they tend to be sweeter.
How to serve Mango Salsa
Our top serving suggestion is serving your Mango Pico de Gallo with corn tortilla chips, vegan cheese sauce, and guacamole. This combination makes for a perfect snack or appetizer.
You can be sure this dish is a crown pleaser, being healthy, vegan and gluten-free nobody will be able to resist this delicious Mango Pico de Gallo. Check these other vegan appetizers to serve on the side of this Pico de Gallo.
Another option is adding Pico de Gallo to your tacos or loaded nachos.
This mango salsa is made using just fresh ingredients which makes it perfect for a spring or summer meal.
Tip: Make a big bowl of it. Even if you don't finish it all, keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and your Pico de Gallo will be even better the next day. It can be stored for 3-4 days.
FAQ and Tips
Can I make this recipe without ripe mangoes?
Yes. If you cannot find ripe mangoes but you still want to add a tropical twist to your salsa, you can use pineapple, papaya, or even peach. Another option is to buy canned mango.
Can I make mild Pico de Gallo?
Pico de gallo is normally made with a little bit of heat adding spicy peppers but not everyone can handle spicy food. You can make your Salsa Fresca with bell peppers if you want to make a mild version of this recipe.
Mango Pico de Gallo
- 3 tomatoes
- ½ small red onion
- 1 mango
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Finely chop the tomatoes, onion, mango and cilantro. Mix all the ingredients in a big bowl.
- Add the lime juice and season with salt to taste.
- Chill for about 20 minutes in the fridge and serve.
|If you tried our recipe, please leave a comment or tag us on Instagram @Sixhungryfeet. We are always happy to see your creations!|