A vegan alternative to the traditional Spanish Sobrasada. Yummy and healthy Sun-Sried Tomato Pâté ready in less than 10 minutes.
Sobrasada is a typical spread from the Balearic Islands, where we live and where Laura is originally from. Since the original Sobrasada is made from ground pork, we decided to create a vegan version of the spread using sun-dried tomatoes, cashews, and the spices used in the original recipe such as sweet or smoked paprika and black pepper.
When I became a vegetarian, people would often ask me how could I not miss Sobrasada among other things. The truth is that I started loving Sobrasada when I tried the Sun-Dried Tomato Pâté version. It's way healthier, richer in taste and it has the perfect consistency to spread on toast, crackers or even put on top of your favourite pizza.
Sobrasada is a typical ingredient in Mallorca, especially during this time of the year. I won't explain to you how the real Sobrasada is made, as it's quite painful to hear or see as a vegetarian/vegan, but I will show you how easy it is to recreate the recipe with plant-based ingredients.
To create this recipe you will need pantry ingredients, a good hand blender and some delicious bread to spread the Pâte on. I promise you, this recipe is a keeper even among meat-eaters!
How to make Sun-Dried Tomato Pâté or Vegan Sobrasada
Sun-Dried tomatoes. To prepare this recipe, choose dried Sun-Dried tomatoes instead of the ones that come already in oil. Leave the tomatoes soaking in warm water for about 30 minutes to rehydrate them. You can find them in some supermarkets, health food shops or online.
Cashews. To make vegan Sobrasada you can either use raw cashews or almonds. We normally use cashews as we prefer the texture.
Pine nuts. You can substitute this ingredient and use more cashews instead but we find that adding a tablespoon of pine nuts, makes a difference on the taste of the Pâte.
Pimientos del Piquillo o Piquillo Peppers. These are jarred roasted red peppers from Spain. They have a delicious sweet and smoky flavour. You can find them online or substitute this ingredient for home-roasted Italian red peppers or jarred red peppers.
Sweet or Smoked Paprika. This is the most characteristic ingredient of the Sobrasada as it defines the taste of the spread. We choose the best brand to make our Sun-Dried Tomato Pâte, and the good news is that you can buy it online and it will come directly from Spain! La Chinata is a Spanish company that produces the best quality of Paprika products. We use their products in many of our recipes. We make our Pâté using sweet paprika so our toddler can eat some too, but if you enjoy spicy food, go for the smoked paprika!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Good quality oil is the best you can use when making raw sauce, spreads or dips.
Garlic. The recipe calls for garlic but you can as well use garlic powder.
Black pepper. Another spice that must be on a Sobrasada, even if this is vegan one!
Salt. Adjust the salt amount to your taste.
How to make the Vegan Sobrasada or Sun-Dried Tomato Pâte in less than 10 minutes.
All you need to do in order to have a delicious spread to go on your favourite bread or cracker is to combine all the ingredients mentioned above in a blender.
We use a hand blender for this step, but you can use a food processor as well.
Blend all the ingredients until you have a smooth consistency. You should be able to still see some little bits of cashew or tomato but the consistency should be smooth so this can take a few minutes, depending on the blender you are using.
Once made, the Sun-Dried Tomato Pâte or Vegan Sobrasada can be kept in the fridge for quite a few days. As it contains salt, it keeps good for at least 7 days if you have it in an air-tight container.
- Simple dinner or lunch. We enjoy Sun-Dried Tomato Pâte as a simple lunch or dinner. Simply toast your favourite bread, spread some of this yummy Sobrasada, serve some olives or a salad on the side or build a sandwich with your favourite cheese or vegan cheese!
- On Pizza. We recently got a pizza oven so pizza nights are happening every week at the moment. We tried adding some Vegan Sobrasada on top of a pizza and it was pure magic! Having this Pâte warm, on top of a doughy pizza was just delicious. Since then, I've been asking for Sobrasada on all my pizzas!
- On a Snack Board. Check our ultimate Christmas or Festive Vegan Snack Board. One of the dips is actually this same recipe and every time we create a snack board, it goes on it!
- On Crackers. Vegan Sobrasada is the perfect snack when served on crackers, if not, ask our little toddler Luca! He loves when we make it and he will normally have it as a snack.
The spread is totally vegan and gluten-free.
Sun-Dried Tomato Pâté (Vegan Sobrasada)
- Hand Blender
- 100 g sun-dried tomatoes
- 70 g cashews
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 100 g pimientos del piquillo piquillo peppers / roasted red pepper or jarred red pepper
- ½ garlic clove
- 20 g extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika use smoked paprika for a spicy alternative
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tomatoes in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and add the tomatoes in a blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the blender. Blend all the ingredients until you have a smooth consistency. This can take a few minutes.
|If you tried our recipe, please leave a comment or tag us on Instagram. We are always happy to see your creations!|