This Watermelon and Feta Salad tastes purely like summer. So refreshing, light, sweet, salty, minty, and easy to prepare that you won't be making it just once!
Salads are always a great option to eat fresh and healthy. Especially during summer when you don't want to spend a long time in the kitchen cooking a warm meal.
Just chop some fresh ingredients, prepare a lovely salad dressing or vinaigrette and there you go, lunch is ready before you even notice. Our watermelon and feta salad, together with this Traditional Greek Salad are a favorite at home.
Summer is nearly finished but we are lucky enough to live in Spain where we still have extra juicy watermelons available. So we decided to make the most of it this year. The sweetness of this lovely fruit combines perfectly with the saltiness of the feta cheese. We add sliced cucumbers, fresh mint, and basil from our garden, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, fresh lemon juice, honey, extra virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
All these simple ingredients create a mouth-watering combination. We love making this salad for lunch, dinner, as a side dish, bring it to barbecues or even serve it with one of our famous Cheese and Dip Boards.
How to make the best Watermelon and Feta Salad
Choose the right ingredients. Not all watermelons and feta cheese are the same. When it comes to choosing the watermelon, go to a local market instead of a big supermarket as they are generally way better in quality and therefore, taste. When looking for feta cheese, choose the feta that comes in blocks instead of chopped and always search for original Greek feta.
Use fresh herbs. When possible, use fresh mint and basil for this recipe or even just one of them. The taste and aroma that fresh herbs will bring to your salad make a huge difference.
Make the salad right before serving. For the salad to stay at its freshest, chop all the ingredients right before serving. If there are any leftovers (there shouldn't be because it's too delicious and light to have too much of it), keep them in an airtight container.
Keep the watermelon in the fridge for at least an hour before making the salad. This way you will have a lovely cold salad by the time you serve it.
Prepare this salad during summer when the watermelon and cucumber are at their best.
If you want some more inspiration to make the best salads at home, check out more Summer Salads,
Watermelon and Feta Salad
- 300 g watermelon
- ½ cucumber
- 100 g feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- A pinch of salt
- 6-7 fresh mint leaves
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves
- Prepare the vinaigrette in a small mixing bowl. Add the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, lemon juice and salt. Whisk all the ingredients and finely chop the mint and basil leaves. Add them into the vinaigrette before serving or directly on the salad.
- Chop the watermelon into cubes and add into a big mixing bowl. With your hands, crumble the feta and add into the mixing bowl. Peel the cucumber, cut in half and chop into half moons. Add into the bowl.
- Using a small pan, briefly toast the sunflower and pumpkin seeds and add into the mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine all the ingredients and finally pour the vinaigrette. Mix all the ingredients one more time so the ingredients are coated and the salad will be ready to serve.
|If you tried our recipe, please leave a comment or tag us on Instagram @Sixhungryfeet. We are always happy to see your creations!