Cauliflower is one of our favourite vegetables. So versatile, we keep developing different recipes with this lovely veggie. First was our Katsu Curry with Cauliflower Nuggets, then the Vegan Cauliflower Korma, also our Spicy Cauliflower Bites and now it's time for this hearty Cauliflower Steak with Romesco Sauce.
We eat cauliflower all throughout the year. During the winter we love making rich soups like roasted cauliflower and almond soup. Now, during these warm summer days, this cauliflower steak with romesco sauce is the perfect way to keep enjoying this vegetable. Cauliflower contains a high amount of fibre making it ideal for weight loss and improve the digestion.
This recipe is naturally vegan and gluten-free. Perfect to please everyone!
How to make Cauliflower Steaks
Even if we use the word Steak, there is no meat or fake meat involved. Just seasoned cauliflower, that's all you really need. To get the perfect size cauliflower steaks, we try to get a big, fresh and good looking cauliflower. Remove the outer leave and cut the cauliflower starting from the middle of the head slicing it until the core. You will need around one-inch-thick cauliflower steak. Depending on the cauliflower, you will be able to get 4 steaks from one cauliflower head. We normally cut two big steaks and use the rest of the cauliflower for other recipes. Place the cauliflower steaks into a baking tray. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, season with turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper and bake for around 20 minutes at 200C, flipping them halfway through.
Simple and tasty. Roasted cauliflower tastes so good that you won't need to add much to it.
Romesco Sauce is a red pepper and tomato-based sauce that originated from Catalunya, Spain. Originally, it's made with ñora pepper, but our recipe contains red bell pepper so it's easier to get the ingredients you need for this deliciously smoked sauce. The rest of the ingredients we use are roasted tomatoes, which can be substituted with tomato paste, roasted garlic, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, roasted almonds, roasted hazelnuts and smoked paprika. Please, don't leave the smoked paprika out, as it's the ingredient that will give the sauce that smoky flavour that you are looking for when making romesco.
Every time we make romesco, we prepare more than enough so we can have it for a couple of days. It's so good that it's difficult to have some leftover. You can as well get store-bought romesco sauce online.
Romesco is normally served with meat or fish but it doesn't have to be that way. Cauliflower and romesco are such a good combination that you won't miss the meat. Also, we enjoy this sauce with boiled or roasted potatoes, homemade pita bread or roasted vegetables.
Cauliflower Steak with Romesco Sauce
Ingredients for the Cauliflower Steak
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh coriander
Ingredients for the Romesco Sauce
- 1 plum tomato
- 1 red pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon vinegar
- 15 g almonds
- 15 g hazelnuts
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
Instructions for the Romesco Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Place the plum tomato, the red pepper and the garlic clove on a baking tray. Bake for around 20 minutes the tomato and garlic or until the skin has partially blackened and leave the red pepper for a bit longer, 30-40 minutes. Take the red pepper out and leave aside to cool.
- Turn the heat of the oven down to 180C and on another baking tray, add the hazelnuts and almonds and roast for around 10 minutes.
- Take the skin off the red pepper and tomato, remove the extra water and add them to a blender jug. Add the roasted almonds and hazelnuts, the olive oil, vinegar, smoked paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Blend all the ingredients until desired consistency. If the sauce is too liquidy, you can add a little bit of bread.
Instructions for the Cauliflower Steak
- Remove the outer leave and cut the cauliflower starting from the middle of the head slicing it until the core. You will need around one-inch-thick cauliflower steak.
- Place the cauliflower steaks into a baking tray. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, season with turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper and bake for around 20 minutes at 200C, flipping them halfway through.
- Add the romesco sauce on a plate and place the roasted cauliflower steak on the top. Sprinkle some fresh chopped coriander on the top.