Have you tried baking your own pita bread? After trying this Whole Wheat Pita Bread, you won't be buying pita bread anymore! I cannot remember the last time that we actually bought pita bread. We much prefer cooking it at home, it's cheaper, healthier and better.
To make our whole wheat pita bread, we use 50% whole wheat flour and 50% white. All you need are four ingredients: flour, water, yeast and salt. So assuming you've got water and salt at home and probably flour, the only extra ingredient you will need is yeast.
Meals to serve with Pita Bread:
- Hummus. How good is it to bake fresh bread to dip into your hummus? Pita bread is the perfect bread for these dips. Check out our Beetroot Hummus or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
- Baba Ganoush. Another dip that calls for pita bread. Our delicious Baba Ganoush is extra good when we have it with homemade pita bread.
- Salads. Prepare a delicious salad and combine it with some pita bread for a hearty meal. This Roasted Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad is a great option.
- Falafels. Add some falafels inside the pita bread, a little bit of hummus, baba ganoush or another dip and some salad and you have a yummy falafel sandwich that makes a perfect dinner.
- Moroccan Tagine. Check out our lovely vegetable tagine, for a one-pot meal that the whole family will love.
And the list goes on. So many different meals can be prepared with this bread!
If you have some leftover pitas, you can freeze them for another day. They freeze perfectly inside a ziplock bag. When you want to use them, take them out the freezer and pop them in the toaster. There you go, ready to eat.
Our recipe makes 6 medium generous size pitas, but you can also make 8 smaller ones if you prefer.
Types of Yeast
We use fresh yeast as it's easy to get from our local shop but you can also use active dry or instant yeast. For this recipe, use the measurements below:
Fresh Yeast = 17 grams
Active Dry Yeast = 7 grams
Instant Yeast = 5 grams
Steps to bake Whole Wheat Pita Bread
1. Add the white and whole wheat flour into a big bowl. In a medium bowl, add the water and yeast and mix until the yeast has completely dissolved. Pour the water and the yeast mixture into the flour, add the salt and knead the dough for around 10 minutes by hand.
2. Cover the dough with a damp tea towel for an hour or until it has doubled in size.
3. Push all the air out of the dough. Weight it and cut it into 6 equal parts.
4. Form the dough into balls and leave them covered for another hour.
5. Roll the balls out with a rolling pin.
6. Preheat the oven to the highest temperature, and bake for 3-4 minutes.
Homemade Whole Wheat Pita Bread
- 165 gr all-purpose flour
- 165 gr wholewheat flour
- 212 ml lukewarm water
- 17.5 gr fresh yeast
- ¾ tsp salt
- Add the white and whole wheat flour into a big bowl. In a jug, add the water and fresh yeast and mix until the yeast has completely dissolved. Pour the water and the yeast mixture into the flour, add the salt and knead the dough for around 10 minutes by hand.
- Cover the dough with a damp tea towel for an hour or until is has doubled in size.
- Push all the air out of the dough. Weight it and cut it into 6 equal parts.
- Form the dough into balls and leave them covered for another hour.
- Roll the balls out with a rolling pin.
- Preheat the oven to the highest temperature, and bake for 3-4 minutes.