Is there something more festive than a tray packed with delicious and colorful Oven-roasted Root Vegetables? This is definitely our favorite side dish when it comes to special meals.
We've found the best combination of winter root vegetables to prepare an easy, festive, and yummy side dish to serve with your favorite meals. All you need are four basic root vegetables, fresh rosemary, garlic, olive oil, and salt.
You can add more veggies to your festive tray, but this is a side dish to serve with special meals, which are already packed with flavors and other tasty ingredients. To keep it simple we use red potatoes, parsnips, beetroot, carrot, and garlic. Trust me when I say that with these five simple ingredients coated with olive oil and baked with some fresh rosemary, you won't need much more.
The perfect festive main dish such as a Nut Roast or a Pie needs to be served with the perfect side dish. Sometimes, we dedicate too much time to the main dish that we forget to pay enough attention to our sides. This tray can be prepared in 15-20 minutes and then left in the oven for an hour, so you can focus on your other dishes.
Our Festive Roasted Root Vegetables are perfect to serve for Christmas dinner, Thanksgiving, Easter, or even with your Sunday Roasts.
Our Festive Roasted Root Vegetables are:
- A side dish
- Perfect for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Sunday Roasts, or any other special occasions.
- Quick to prepare
- Easy to make
- Family-friendly and toddler-friendly
How to roast Root Vegetables to perfection
When I say perfection, what I mean is this:
The potatoes need to be crispy and golden on the outside but still, keep the tenderness when you take a bite. For that, you need the right potatoes, which in our opinion are Red Potatoes or Russet Potatoes, both considered "waxy potatoes".
The same goes for the parsnips, you want them to have a crispy layer and be lovely and tender inside.
Carrots and beetroot will caramelize and bring out the amazing sweetness they have if you roast them for a long enough time. The sweetness from these two veggies will balance the flavors of your tray.
How to prepare the vegetables
Cut your veggies
Peel and cut the potatoes into halves or quarters, depending on the size. You want big enough chunks as they will be parboiled first and then roasted for over an hour.
For the carrots, we simply peel them and cook them whole. You may not need to peel them if they are organic. We do the same with parsnips but if they are bigger, we slice them in halves, so they cook better.
Cut your beetroot into smaller chunks than your potatoes as they take longer to cook and they won't be parboiled.
Parboil the veggies
For the potatoes, parsnips, and carrots to be cooked to perfection, we parboil them for about 10 minutes. We leave the beetroot out to add later with the garlic and rosemary.
Make sure your veggies are cut big enough so they don't break while boiling.
Prepare the baking tray
Once they have been parboiled, all you need to do is drain the water, transfer the veggies on a big enough baking tray and add the beetroot, fresh rosemary, a garlic head (cut the upper part of it), a good bit of olive oil making sure the veggies are well coated.
Leave enough space between your vegetables so they cook perfectly.
Bake for an hour
Here comes the easiest part, leave your root vegetables roasting for an hour (more if needed). Make sure to stir them occasionally so they cook evenly. Once cooked, take the tray out of the oven and season straight away with sea salt.
This Festive Roasted Root Vegetables are an exceptional dish to serve on special dates such as Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Easter or any other family or friends gathering that people dress up fancy and yummy food is expected.
The main dish you serve with that's totally up to you. We strongly recommend serving the meal with some gravy whether is homemade or made from granules. Another great sauce to serve this roasted veggie with is our homemade vegan tartar sauce.
Serving the root vegetables with other side dishes such as lemon and garlic green beans makes the plate even more colorful, fresh, and overall, special.
Festive Roasted Root Vegetables
- 6 red potatoes
- 7 carrots
- 2-3 parsnips
- 2 small beetroots
- 1 garlic head
- 2-3 springs fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Peel and cut the potatoes into halves or quarters, depending on the size. You want big enough chunks.
- Peel the carrots and parsnips. If they are big, slice them in halves, otherwise you can leave them whole.
- Peel and cut your beetroot into smaller chunks than your potatoes as they take longer to cook and they won't be parboiled.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F
- Add some water to a big pot and bring it to a boil. Add the potatoes, carrots and parsnips (leave the beetroot out) and parboil for 10 minutes.
- Once they have been parboiled, drain the water, transfer the veggies on a big enough baking tray and add the beetroot, fresh rosemary, garlic head, cutting the upperr part of it, and a good bit of olive oil making sure the veggies are well coated.
- Leave your root vegetables roasting for an hour (more if needed). Make sure to stir them occasionally so they cook evenly. Once cooked, take the tray out of the oven and season straight away with sea salt.
|If you tried our recipe, please leave a comment or tag us on Instagram @Sixhungryfeet. We are always happy to see your creations!|