This autumnal Vegan Apple Crumble is easy to prepare using simple ingredients. The combination of baked apples with the most delicious crumble is simply perfect. Served with creamy vegan ice cream, you will have a winner dessert or afternoon snack.
What is Apple Crumble?
Apple Crumble is a British dessert made with staple ingredients such as butter, flour, and sugar. If you have been to England during late summer or early autumn, chances are you have seen a few apple trees. This is why Apple Crumble aka Apple Crisp, is a really popular dessert around the country and the world, it is a delicious treat made with ingredients that you probably already have at home.
Our Apple Crumble is a vegan version of the traditional crumble and contains a few more ingredients to make it more nutritious such as oats, pecan nuts, and almonds.
Our Apple Crumble is:
- A dessert or snack
- Easy to prepare
- Autumnal, fall recipe
- Perfect for holiday or festive meals
Ingredients for our Vegan Apple Crumble
So what is vegan crumble made of? A traditional crumble is made with regular butter so we simply substitute that ingredient with plant-based butter.
Apples, of course. Our favorite type of apples when it comes to baking is Jonagold apples. For this vegan apple dessert, we peel the apples but whether to peel them or not, it's totally up to you.
Spice mix. We use cinnamon and nutmeg. They give the dessert a lovely fall flavor and fragrance.
Brown sugar. Adding a little bit of sugar to the apples helps the natural caramelization of the fruit.
Lemon. We like adding some fresh lemon juice to prevent oxidation of the apples.
All-purpose flour. This is one of the main ingredients to make the crumble. You can substitute this for whole wheat flour or even gluten-free flour to make a gluten-free apple crumble.
Rolled oats. Adding rolled oats into the topping mixture will make the apple crisp extra crunchy. This vegan dessert is better eaten right after baking. You can save the leftovers for the day after but it won't be as crunchy.
Nuts. We add crushed raw pecan and almonds. You can add other nuts or seeds such as cashews, walnuts, macadamia nuts, sunflower, or pumpkin seeds.
Vegan butter. We use Naturly Vegan Block for our desserts. It works great for this crumble as well. Coconut oil can as well be used when making vegan crumble.
Brown sugar. Many recipes include a higher amount of sugar. Using a ½ cup of sugar is more than enough as the apples are already going to bring the rest of the sweetness you are looking for. For an even healthier apple crumble, substitute the brown sugar for date syrup or monk fruit.
Step by Step Method
- Prepare the apples. Peel and cut the apples. You can cut the apples into slices as we do, or cubes. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and sugar. Combine with your hands until the apples are well coated.
- Roughly crush the nuts and add all the ingredients for the crumble in a mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, combine the ingredients until you have a moist mixture and start to crumble.
- Spread the crumble on top of the apples so it covers the whole baking dish. Bake 45 min at 180 C. To avoid burning the top while the apples are cooking, cover the baking dish with tinfoil once it has been cooking for 25 minutes.
Variations for our Vegan Apple Crumble
- Make it gluten-free. To make this vegan apple dessert gluten-free, substitute the all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour. Make sure the oats you are using are tagged as gluten-free as not all of them are.
- Make it sugar-free. Apple crumble made with sugar is delicious, but not the healthiest. I normally make a baby, toddler-friendly version for my two kids and myself as I have prediabetes. We enjoy this as a snack, dessert, and even breakfast! Recipe coming soon.
- Add another fruit to your crumble or crisp. Earlier this year I made a blackberry and apple crumble and it was such a lovely treat. As well, fruits such as peaches, strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries go perfectly in your fruit crumbles.
Apple crumbles are best served with ice cream or custard. Luckily, you can get vegan ice cream or make a delicious vegan custard at home. You can as well serve it with your afternoon tea.
Vegan Apple Crumble makes for an easy and delicious dessert for holidays such as Christmas or Thanksgiving and other festive meals.
You can keep any leftovers in the fridge for 4-5 days. Reheat using the microwave and serve.
FAQ and Tips
- To make the best apple crumble, we recommend covering with tinfoil the baking dish with once it has been baking for 25 minutes.
- What is the difference between apple crumble and apple cobbler? Apple or fruit Cobbler differ from crumbles or crisps on the topping. Cobblers are made with ingredients such as biscuits, baking soda, milk, or eggs.
- Can I freeze apple crumble? Yes. We recommend freezing the apple crumble before baking.
- How can I make a crumble without butter? Our vegan crumble calls for vegan butter, but you can substitute this with coconut oil to make a butter-free crumble.
Vegan Apple Crumble
- 5 apples medium-size
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 100 g crushed almonds and pecan nuts
- ¾ cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Peel and cut the apples. You can cut the apples into quarters and then into slices like we do, or medium-size cubes. Transfer the apples into a baking dish.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and sugar and combine with your hands until the apples are well coated.
- Add the flour, oats, crushed nuts, vegan butter (cubed), sugar and cinnamon into a mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, combine the crumble ingredients until you have a moist and well combined.
- Spread the crumble on top of the apples so it covers the whole baking dish.
- Bake 45 min at 180 C. To avoid burning the top while the apples cook, cover the baking dish with tinfoil once it has been cooking for 25 minutes.
- Serve with some vegan ice cream or custard.
|If you tried our recipe, please leave a comment or tag us on Instagram @Sixhungryfeet. We are always happy to see your creations!|