This delicious vegan creamy mushroom pasta can be made in 30 minutes and it contains mostly pantry ingredients. What we love so much about this recipe is that you are using both raw and cooked ingredients. It delivers an amazing taste and it brings the creaminess you are looking for when making a creamy pasta without having any dairy products.
The sauce is suitable for dairy-free diets, vegan and vegetarian and if you have gluten-free miso paste (or leave this ingredient out), it will be gluten-free.
For our vegan creamy mushroom pasta, we use white wine. When we got married last year we bought way to much wine. Maybe that is cause half of the guests were Irish, but still way too much! So we have been finding other ways of using it instead of drinking it all. The white wine gives your sauces an amazing flavour. I love the smell I get in the kitchen while cooking, plus who can resist a small glass of wine while cooking?
If you have little ones to feed lie us, you can check out our toddler version of this recipe here.
Tips for making the perfect vegan creamy pasta:
- We soak our cashews in boiling water during 15-20 minutes and it works perfectly. You can leave them soaking overnight with cold or room temperature water if you prefer.
- The cashew nut cream needs to be a thickish cream so you can adjust with more water if it is too thick or more cashews if it is too thin. Do not worry if you need to add some raw cashews.
- To get the creaminess we all want from this dish we strongly recommend adding some pasta water.
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 150 gr cashews soaked in water
- 350 ml water
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg grated
- 7-9 mushrooms sliced
- 150 ml white wine
- Mix in a blender the soaked cashews, water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, miso paste and black pepper. Blend all the ingredients together until smooth consistency.
- Heat some olive oil in a large pan on medium heat and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes before adding the mushrooms and nutmeg. When the mushrooms are lightly golden add the garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes and add the white wine. Leave to simmer and reduce the liquid by half.
- Mix the cooked sauce with the raw ingredients previously blended.
- Save some water from the pasta you cook and add it to the sauce before serving it. Finish the dish with some chili flakes and truffle oil on the top and adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
For more vegan pasta recipes check our Vegan Lentil Bolognese!