Our Vegan Garlic Bread is the perfect side for your pasta and soup bowls. Complete your favorite meals with delicious garlicky bread made with vegan garlic butter spread on Ciabatta bread, topped with some vegan parmesan, and baked in the oven until golden brown.
Why will you love this recipe?
This easy vegan garlic bread recipe comes with amazing flavors made using simple ingredients. Fresh garlic vegan butter combined with fresh basil, vegan parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper is all you need to prepare a satisfying Garlic Bread.
We use Ciabatta bread for our recipe as it is easy to find, delivers the perfect crunchiness when baked, and freezes well so you can make enough for another day. We spread the garlic butter before cutting the bread which makes it easier than spreading the butter slice by slice. You don't need to slice it until baked!
Our Garlic Bread is:
- Made with Ciabatta
- Easy to prepare
- Perfect side dish for pasta and soups
How to make the best Vegan Garlic Bread
Ciabatta bread. Ciabatta bread is a popular Italian bread that is known for its unique texture and flavor. This bread is crispy on the outside and nice and chewy inside. When you spread the garlic butter, it holds perfectly, delivering a buttery mouthful while keeping the outer layer crispy. Other great options for making garlic bread are French baguettes or sourdough bread.
For this recipe, we use an entire loaf of Ciabatta bread.
Garlic. Of course, for garlic bread you need garlic! We use fresh garlic cloves as it is the best option to get that garlicky goodness. If you want to make this recipe and don't have fresh garlic, alternatively you could use garlic powder.
Vegan Butter. Garlic bread is made with garlic butter, which uses butter and garlic. For our vegan recipe, we use vegan or plant-based butter. For this recipe, we use Violife Butter, as it has the perfect creamy texture and it melts nicely. A healthier option would be using olive oil. It won't be creamy but it will still taste really good!
Fresh basil. Garlic bread is not complete without fresh herbs. You can use different fresh herbs depending on your taste or the dish you want to serve the bread with. We use basil as it goes well with everything and it is easy to find all-year-around. Other options to use for making garlic bread are fresh parsley, sage, chives, oregano, or thyme. You can as well, use a combination of different herbs,
Vegan Parmesan. This ingredient is optional and it may not be that easy to find but if you are able to get vegan parm in your local supermarket, it goes amazingly in this recipe! We use Nurishh Vegan Parmesan, and we love it. You can use alternatively yeast flakes (nutritional yeast) or another type of vegan cheese such as vegan mozzarella.
Salt and pepper. Finish your vegan garlic bread adding some sea salt and pepper.
If you want to add a little heat to your garlic bread, you can add red pepper flakes to the garlic butter mixture.
- Cut the Ciabatta bread in half lengthwise.
- Make the vegan garlic butter mixture by combining in a medium-sized mixing bowl the vegan butter, finely chopped or minced garlic cloves, fresh basil finely chopped, salt, pepper, and some vegan parmesan cheese. Combine the ingredients using a fork until the butter starts to soften and create a smooth spreadable mixture.
- Spread the garlic butter on both bread pieces. Make sure you are using the whole mixture as you want to bread to have enough garlic butter on every bite.
- Place in the oven on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 180C (350F). Make sure your garlic doesn't get too brown as roasted garlic can get a not-so-nice strong flavor if it starts to burn.
You can then cut the bread into slices and serve with your favorite pasta dish or soup or freeze it for another day.
Best meals to serve our Vegan Garlic Bread with
We especially love serving this homemade garlic bread with our creamy pasta and soup recipes. It completes our weeknight dinner. We always have a freezer bag filled with crispy bread and we just take it out, place the slice of bread in the toaster, and in a few minutes your bread is ready to be enjoyed!
Creamy Pasta Recipes
- Tahini Pasta
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Vegan Creamy Tomato Pasta
- Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Butternut Squash Pasta
As well, you can use the vegan butter mixture to add to other ingredients such as baked potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Store and Reheat Garlic Bread
If you are not going to use all the garlic bread you just made, you can keep it in a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze it to use another day.
When you want to serve the vegan garlic bread you have in the freezer, you can reheat it by using the toaster or the oven. Using the toaster is way faster and you won't need to turn the oven on.
We recommend using the toaster at a low-temperature setting to ensure you don't burn the bread.
FAQ and Tips
What is the best type of bread to use for Garlic Bread
Crusty bread is the perfect type of bread to use to make garlic bread. Our favorite ones are Italian bread such as Ciabatta or French Baguette. You can make your own Ciabatta bread by following Alexandra Cook's Recipe for Homemade Ciabatta Bread
How can I soften the butter to make the garlic butter?
By mixing all the ingredients with a fork you should be able to soften the vegan butter until you have a spreadable and smooth mixture. if your butter is too cold, you can leave it at room temperature for a few hours before using it or microwave it for a couple of seconds making sure it doesn't melt completely.
Can I make this recipe without vegan parmesan?
Sure. A great alternative if you don't have or can't find vegan parmesan is using nutritional yeast or yeast flakes, or you could make your own using just cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. You can check Minimalist Baker's recipe for Homemade Parmesan Cheese.
What can I use instead of Vegan Butter?
You can use olive oil or another good quality vegetable oil. The bread won't have that creamy texture but it will still taste really good.
Vegan Garlic Bread
- 400 g Ciabatta bread loaf around 400g (14 oz)
- ½ block vegan butter
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 50 g Vegan Parmesan
- A handful fresh basil
- A pinch of salt pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F)
- Cut the Ciabatta bread loaf in half lengthwise.
- Peel and finely chop or mince the garlic cloves and wash and finely chop the fresh basil.
- Prepare the vegan garlic butter by adding to a medium-sized mixing bowl the vegan butter, minced garlic, chopped basil, salt, pepper, and vegan parmesan cheese.
- Combine the ingredients using a fork until the butter starts to soften and create a smooth spreadable mixture.
- Spread the whole mixture on both bread pieces.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut the bread into slices and serve.
- Serve with your favorite pasta or soup dishes.
- Use a freezer bag to freeze any leftover garlic bread.
If you tried our recipe, please leave a comment or tag us on Instagram @Sixhungryfeet. We are always happy to see your creations!