Our Sweet Potato Wedges sprinkled with lime zest are a simple appetizer, snack, or side dish yet absolutely delicious, crunchy, and amazingly flavourful.
We never thought of such a delicious combination until we actually tried it in a restaurant. Sweet potato and lime are meant to be together. Trust me, once you've tried it, there is no going back!
Our Sweet Potato Wedges are deep-fried in vegetable oil. It may not be the healthiest snack or appetizer but when it comes to wedges, this is just the best way to prepare them. Of course, you can bake sweet potato fries or wedges and get good results too, but for this recipe, we decided to indulge ourselves a little bit.
Since we first tried them, we've made this recipe quite a few times, but last time, we prepared them for a larger group of people and everyone was absolutely amazed at how good they tasted.
This recipe is a simple combination of delicious sweet potatoes, lime zest, sea salt, and a yummy sauce to dip in such as vegan chipotle mayo.
Our Sweet Potato Wedges are:
- A snack, appetizer or side dish
- Extra crispy
- Easy to make
- Family-friendly if you serve them with a non-spicy dip
- Finger or party food
How to get your Potato Wedges extra crispy
There are a few things you can do in order to get extra crispy sweet potato wedges:
- Frying instead of baking. You can get crispy baked sweet potato wedges, but it takes way more time and effort as it won't be as simple as just placing them on a baking tray. Sweet potatoes have a lower content of starch than potatoes, and a higher content of sugar, which caramelizes when cooked in the oven intead of giving a crispy result.
- Adding starch. Sweet potatoes need more starch than the natural content in order to get really crispy. We prefer diluting cornstarch in water making a small batter and coating the sweet potatoes in this batter instead of just sprinkling the cornstarch directly on them. It makes the coating part easier and more even.
- Don't peel the sweet potatoes. Buy organic sweet potatoes and they won't need to be peeled before frying. We think that the skin provides an extra crispiness to your wedges.
- Cook the sweet potatoes when the oil is hot enough. You can make a test with one potato wedge. As soon as you place it in the oil, it needs to start bubbling, if not, wait a few more minutes.
- When taken out of the oil, place them on kitchen paper and sprinkle with sea salt. Leave the sweet potatoes for a couple of minutes so the paper can absorb any extra oil.
Follow these simple tricks and your sweet potato wedges with lime will be super crispy and yummy.
How to cut a sweet potato into wedges
If you are using organic sweet potatoes, there is no need to peel them. Try buying sweet potatoes that are similar in size and shape. This will make it easier when trying to get similar size wedges.
Wash the sweet potatoes with fresh water and using a sharp knife cut them lengthways. Then, cut each half into wedge shapes.
It's important that all your wedges have a similar size so they all cook at the same rate.
As a Snack
These sweet potato wedges make for a great snack when you have people over, football nights, movie nights or simply when you feel like eating something delicious that can be made fast enough. Not many ingredients are needed to make our sweet potato wedges with lime zest.
If you are having them as a snack, you can serve them with different dips to make the dish even more enjoyable.
As a side dish
Our Sweet potato wedges with lime are a perfect side dish for your meals. Our favourite dishes to serve with wedges are with our Vegan Fish and Chips, a lovely Falafel Sandwich or our Cauliflower Steak with Romesco. You can serve them with any of your favourite dishes such as burgers, salads or even curries.
Best dips to serve our Sweet Potato Wedges
Chipotle mayo. We use vegan mayonnaise to make our chipotle mayo, but you can use regular mayonnaise too. Simply combine Chipotle Tabasco with mayonnaise to make this dip.
Sriracha mayo. If you like something a bit spicier, combine mayonnaise with sriracha. This dip hits the spot if you like some heat.
Alioli. Living in Spain you cannot get enough aioli. This delicious sauce makes for a great dip when having wedges or fries.
Gochujang Mayo. This spicy Korean dipping sauce adds a spice kick to your appetizer.
Guacamole. Make an easy guacamole to serve with your wedges. Our sweet potato wedges with lime zest are a great match for guacamole. Cookie and Kate have a great recipe for guacamole, have a look!
Lime Zest and Sea Salt
Lime zest and sea salt are all you need for your sweet potato wedges.
Add the sea salt right after cooking them, when they are still hot. Leave them for a couple of minutes on kitchen paper to absorb any extra oil and then, add the lime zest on the top making sure they are all evenly sprinkled with delicious lime peel.
Lime zest adds a really nice tangy and citrus flavour to the wedges. Use organic limes to make sure no wax has been added to the fruit or clean them well.
When it comes to a zester or grater, we cannot recommend enough getting a Microplane grater. This kitchen gadget will become one of your best friends!
You can add garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili flakes, yeast flakes or any other topping of your choice, but we recommend keeping it simple with lime zest and sea salt.
Sweet Potato Wedges with Lime Zest
- 3 sweet potatoes medium size
- 60 g cornflour
- 90 ml water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sea Salt
- Zest of 1 lime
- Wash the sweet potatoes with fresh water and using a sharp knife cut them lenghtwise. Then, cut each half into wedge shapes.
- Using a mixing bowl, add the cornflour and water and stir well until all the cornflour has been diluted.
- Add the wedges into the mixture and coat well making sure all the sweet potato wedges are evenly coated.
- Using a small pan (it will reduce the amount of oil needed), add vegetable oil, enough to deep fry the wedges, and heat the oil to a high temperature.
- When the oil is hot enough, start adding the wedges. You may need to fry them in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- When golden, take the wedges out of the oil and place them on kitchen paper. Sprinkle with salt, leave them for a couple of minutes to release any excess oil, and transfer them into the serving bowl.
- Add the lime zest on the top and enjoy!