Our Festive and Healthy Beetroot Salad topped with Vegan Feta Cheese and drizzled with a delicious Balsamic Vinaigrette, checks all the boxes to be on your special menus for this Holiday season.
Why will you love this recipe
Our Beetroot salad with vegan feta is a delicious and nutritious dish that combines the earthy flavors of beetroot with the tangy taste of vegan feta cheese.
Roasting beets enhances their natural sweetness, which is then perfectly complemented by the savory vegan feta, making for a delightful and hearty salad. We add fresh leaves, pear, crushed nuts, and a lovely balsamic dressing to create a beautiful balance of flavors and textures.
Our Beet Salad is incredibly easy to prepare, and once the beets are roasted, will only take you about 10 minutes to whip up. With simple ingredients and minimal steps required, you'll have a tasty, vibrant salad ready to serve in no time.
We use vegan feta cheese, which is a great addition to the dish, providing a satisfying creaminess that complements the earthy beets and fresh greens perfectly. This makes it a great addition for plant-based diets, or a fantastic option for people with lactose intolerance.
It is a visually stunning dish. Not to mention, it's a perfect meal to serve during holiday gatherings or special occasions. This Beetroot salad isn't just tasty and beautiful, but it's also a healthy option. Beetroot and other fresh greens are packed with essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs. Combined with the vegan feta cheese which provides protein and calcium, you have a well-rounded dish that contributes to a balanced diet.
Beetroot Health Benefits
Beetroot is often referred to as a superfood. It is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and is low in fat too. They are especially good for people with prediabetes or diabetes.
Our Beetroot Salad is:
- A side dish
- Easy to prepare
How to make a delicious Beetroot Salad
Roasted Beet Salad Ingredients
Beetroot. For this recipe, we use roasted beetroots. You can buy precooked beetroots, or like us, opt for fresh ones and roast them in the oven.
Fresh leaves. Some beetroot salads are served without leaves, but we love adding some green to our salads. For this beet salad, we use rocket (arugula) and baby spinach. Other options are watercress, iceberg, butterhead, oak leaves, etc.
Vegan Feta. Our favorite brand for Vegan Feta is Violife. But you can get other brands if they are easier to find in your local supermarket. Another option is to make your own plant-based Feta cheese. Check out this recipe from Rainbow Plant Life.
Nuts. We like adding a little crunch to our salads by adding nuts. Walnuts and pecans go great with beetroot and feta cheese. They are festive and keep their texture once combined with the rest of the ingredients.
Pear. To add some more sweetness, we add finely sliced pear. You could add sliced apple or orange if you prefer some more acidity or tanginess.
Vinaigrette. For this salad, we chose a Balsamic vinaigrette. Check below the ingredients.
Ingredients for the Balsamic Vinaigrette
For our Beetroot Salad Recipe, we like making a simple Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Balsamic Vinegar. This type of vinegar is dark and has a sweet and tart flavor. Depending on the quality of the Balsamic Vinegar you use, it will be more or less concentrated. You can find regular Balsamic vinegar in most supermarkets or your regular grocery store. Alternatively, you can use apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar, and add a little sweetener to the dressing.
Olive Oil. For salad dressings, we always use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. You can use regular olive oil as well.
Dijon Mustard. We normally smooth mustard but you can also use whole-grain mustard or honey mustard.
Fresh mint. Freshly chopped mint adds a refreshing touch to the dressing.
Salt. Preferably, fine sea salt.
You can optionally add other ingredients such as maple syrup and fresh garlic, black pepper, or other fresh herbs such as basil or sage.
- Roast the beetroot. Cut the top and bottom of the beet, wash with water, and wrap in tinfoil paper. Place on a baking tray or baking sheet, and bake for about an hour at 200C (400F). Roasting the beets brings out the natural sweetness of beetroot. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the size of your beets. To make sure the beets are cooked, stick a knife. This should go all the way in easily.
- Leave the beets to cool, peel and cut. Allow the beets to cool down, then peel them. The skin should easily come, making it convenient to do so using your hands (be prepared for some purple hands afterward!). Place the roasted beets on a cutting board, and using a sharp knife, cut the beets into small wedges, sliced, or cubes. You can choose which way you prefer to shape the beetroot pieces.
- Prepare the vinaigrette. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Mix well until all the ingredients are incorporated and you have a uniform sauce.
- Assemble the salad. Using a large bowl, combine the fresh leaves, sliced pear, beetroot wedges, sliced pear, and chopped nuts. Add the vinaigrette, and crumbled feta cheese, and mix gently. Then transfer the salad to a serving platter or large platter. We recommend saving some feta cheese to add at the end, so it stays white and contrasts the rest of the colours.
Variations to Our Vegan Beetroot and Feta Salad
For those who want to try different twists on our beetroot salad with vegan feta, we have some alternatives that you might want to try.
- Replace the vegan feta with tofu. Tofu can be marinated and baked to acquire a similar texture and taste, making it a great substitute for vegan feta while still keeping the dish vegan.
- Use a different dressing for your salad. We believe this salad pairs beautifully with a fresh lemon juice dressing, honey mustard dressing, or a tahini dressing too.
- Use precooked or raw beets. For this recipe, we use roasted beetroot. You can make this recipe using precooked beetroot or canned beets to save some time. I personally like the taste of freshly roasted beetroot better, but as well, as a busy mum, love how convenient precooked beetroot is. Another option is to shred fresh beetroot and add it raw to the salad.
- Add more ingredients. We tried to keep this recipe simple, as we are always looking for healthy and simple side dishes that don't need many ingredients, but you can add other yummy ingredients to this dish. Some great options are avocado, roasted pumpkin, toasted seeds for crunchy textures, spring onions, edamame beans, or pickled onion.
This colorful salad is a versatile dish that pairs well with many dishes. We normally have it served as a side dish, but you can enjoy this salad as a main dish for a light lunch served in a salad bowl or as an appetizer.
We believe that this Vegan Beetroot Salad is a really festive side dish that combines beautifully with hearty Holiday mains such as a Vegan Wellington, a Nut Roast, or a Vegetable Pie. As well, it makes a perfect appetizer, served with these hearty veggie Sausage Rolls.
Another great option is to serve it as an appetizer for your Holiday meals or special events. Place small portions on individual plates or even in small lettuce cups. If you are organizing a brunch or a fancy dinner party, this could be a fantastic choice.
FAQ and Tips
Can I replace vegan feta with regular feta cheese?
Yes, you can replace vegan feta with regular feta cheese if you prefer or if you don't follow a vegan diet. Keep in mind that regular feta is made from dairy, so it may not be suitable for individuals with lactose intolerance or those who avoid dairy products for ethical or health reasons. The taste and texture of the salad might also vary slightly, but the combination of beetroot and feta cheese, whether vegan or traditional, pairs well together.
Can I use raw beet for this beet salad recipe?
Yes. If you prefer not to cook the beetroot, we recommend you shred it finely before combining it with the rest of the ingredients.
Does this salad keep well?
Once you add the vinaigrette, the salad will be ready to serve and enjoy. If you leave it for some time, the fresh leaves may get soft and soggy. If you plan on preparing the salad for later, we recommend keeping the vinaigrette in a different container, so the ingredients stay fresh.
How can you remove beet stains from the skin?
Gently scrubbing your hands with soap and water should be effective enough for recent stains. Otherwise, you can try using lemon juice, as the acidity in lemon helps break down beet pigments.
Beetroot Salad with Vegan Feta
- 3 Beetroot around 230g
- ¾ cup walnuts and pecans
- 100 g vegan feta
- 1 pear
- 1 cup rocket salad arugula
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 leaves fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).
- Cut the top and bottom of the beet, wash with water, and wrap in tinfoil paper.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for about an hour at 200C (400F). You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the size of your beets. To make sure the beets are cooked, stick a knife. This should go all the way in easily.
- Allow the beets to cool down, then peel them using your hands. Cut the beets into small wedges or slices, or your preferred shape, and reserve.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Mix well until all the ingredients are incorporated and you have a uniform sauce.
- Finely slice the pear, and crush the nuts. You can cut into cubes the vegan feta or crumble with your hands.
- Using a big salad bowl, combine the fresh leaves, beetroot wedges, sliced pear, and chopped nuts. Add the vinaigrette, and crumbled feta cheese, and mix gently.
- Then transfer the salad to a serving plate. We recommend saving some feta cheese to add at the end, so it stays white and contrasts the rest of the colours.
If you tried our recipe, please leave a comment or tag us on Instagram @Sixhungryfeet. We are always happy to see your creations!