It’s peak zucchini season in summer, and these Easy Zucchini Fritters are a great way to use this yummy vegetable. Crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. They make for a delicious side dish or starter for the whole family and can be cooked in 25 minutes.
To make our easy zucchini fritters all you need are five simple ingredients. Zucchini, whole wheat flour, lemon zest, fresh mint and egg. The lemon zest and the mint give the fritters a fresh and lovely flavour. With these five ingredients combined, you will have the mixture ready to prepare the fritters for cooking in a frying pan or skillet with some olive oil.
How to make crunchy zucchini fritters?
Our first batch of zucchini fritters was soggy and we didn’t know what went wrong as we squeezed some of the water of the zucchini out. The answer was that our shredded zucchini still had loads of water. That’s a lesson we learnt and since then we know exactly how you can get your fritters crunchy on the outside but still keeping them moist on the inside. To make crunchy zucchini fritters follow the steps below.
- Shred the zucchini and place it in a mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, mix and leave for 10 minutes. The salt will help the zucchini release its water.
- After 10 minutes, put the zucchini inside a cheesecloth and squeeze out all the water making pressure with your hands. I am amazed every time we cook these fritters of how much water comes out. If you don’t have a cheesecloth, you can use a colander or drainer.
- When all the water has been squeezed out, place the zucchini back in the mixing bowl and combine with the rest of the ingredients. If the mixture still seems too moist, add a little more flour.
Can zucchini fritters be frozen?
Yes, they can! You can freeze zucchini fritters after cooking them. They will keep in the freezer for up to two months. Use a ziplock bag and make sure they have completely cooled before freezing them. To avoid them from sticking, freeze them separately or place some greaseproof paper in between the fritters.
Best way to serve the zucchini fritters
The best way to serve your zucchini fritters is with a yoghurt dip. For our dip, we used unsweetened soy yoghurt, fresh mint and lemon juice. You can have the fritters as a starter, side dish or even a snack. Here are some meal options to serve with your fritters:
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Coleslaw
- Beet Carpaccio with Goat Cheese
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus or Beetroot Hummus
- Baba Ganoush
Easy Zucchini Fritters
- 1 large zucchini (around 600gr)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- lemon zest of one lemon
- handful of fresh mint chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the yoghurt dip
- 1 soy yoghurt unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- handful of fresh mint
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shred the zucchini and place it in a mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, mix and leave for 10 minutes.
- Put the zucchini inside a cheesecloth and squeeze out all the water making pressure with your hands. When all the water has been squeezed out, place the zucchini back in the mixing bowl.
- Add into the mixing bowl the flour, egg, lemon zest, fresh mint, salt and pepper to taste. Combine all the ingredients until uniform.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan or skillet on medium-high heat. With your hand, form the fritter shape and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving.
- For the dip, using a hand blender, blend the yoghurt with the lemon juice and the mint and serve.