When I think of our Vegan Coleslaw, summer vibes come to my mind. Sunny day, eating out on the terrace having delicious fresh food, which of course, includes this salad.
It is the perfect side dish for barbeques, dinner parties or other friends and family get-togethers. It's served cold and you can prepare it the day before, which can be super handy!
Our amazing vegan coleslaw comes with a delicious vegan sauce made out of cashew nuts to substitute the mayonnaise. We soak the cashew nuts overnight, but you can always boil them for 10 minutes or leave them in hot water for at least 20 minutes.
The ingredients used for the sauce are quite simple and you will most probably have everything you need: cashews, dijon mustard, olive oil, maple syrup, and lemon.
For the salad, we use white cabbage, red cabbage, white onion, and carrot. Feel free to use one type of cabbage if that is what you have or prefer. Another ingredient that goes especially well in Coleslaw is beetroot, check out this delicious and refreshing Beetroot Coleslaw.
My favorite ingredient for coleslaw is cumin seeds. For me, a coleslaw it's not complete without the cumin seeds. My husband thinks I'm a bit weird about this, but seriously, cumin seeds are the reason why I started loving coleslaw so much.
- ¼ medium size cabbage
- 1 to 2 carrot
- ½ onion
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
Ingredients for the Vegan Sauce
- ½ cup cashews soaked
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoon water
- 1 ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Thinly slice all the vegetables or use a food processor to cut everything. You will save some time with this last option.
- Mix all the ingredients in a big bowl and add the cumin seeds.
- To prepare the sauce, pour into a hand blender jug the soaked cashews, mustard, olive oil, water, maple syrup, lemon and vinegar. Blend with a hand blender until you get a smooth consistency.
- Pour the sauce into a big bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix everything together until perfectly combined.
- Serve intermediately or leave in the fridge for the following day.
For more side dishes, check our lovely Lemon & Rosemary Potato Wedges