You are just six ingredients away from this refreshing, creamy, and delicious Vegan Mango Lassi. Made with coconut yogurt, our dairy-free lassi has become the perfect drink for this summer!
What is Mango Lassi?
Mango Lassi is a yogurt-based drink from North India. The traditional recipe is made with yogurt, milk, and spices, and/or fruits.
Our favorite lassi is a dairy-free or vegan Mango Lassi. Mango is such a great fruit to enjoy during summer and winter and mixed with a plant-based yogurt you can make yourself a yummy Mango Lassi to help you digest your food.
Our Mango Lassi is:
- A snack or a drink to serve with your favorite meals
- Good for digestion
What you need to know about Mangoes
Mango Health Benefits
Mangoes are such a good fruit to add to your weekly shopping list. Sweet, refreshing, and packed with nutrients and vitamins. Mangoes are a great fruit to help prevent diabetes and to improve your digestion. Our toddler Luca and baby Lena love Mangoes and so do we. We even use fresh mango puree to add to our pancakes and waffles.
How to choose the perfect Mango
To make the perfect Mango Lassi, you need the perfect mangoes. We like buying our mangoes ripe but not fully ripened. You need to gently squeeze a few mangoes to make sure you are getting the best ones, just like buying avocados. Normally, most mangoes we find are quite green so we need to find mangoes that are already slightly softened. Then we leave them for a few days in the fruit bowl until they are fully ripe.
The mangoes we can find in Europe easily are Osteen mangoes. They become sweet and really juicy, which makes them a great choice for your Lassis. If you can get Indian mangoes such as Alphonso mangoes go for it!
For our Vegan Mango Lassi, we freeze the mango cubes for a few hours. This makes your Mango Lassi be nice and cold!
How to cut a Mango
Knowing how to cut a Mango the right way will save you some time and you will avoid making a mess.
Check Simply Recipes to learn how to do it in no time.
How to make the perfect Mango Lassi at home
Mangoes. Ripe, sweet, and juicy mangoes. We cut the mangoes into cubes and freeze the cubes for our Mango Lassi recipe.
Plant-based yogurt. Our favorite yogurt to make lassis are coconut greek-style yogurts. They are creamy and with a nice nutty flavor. Alpro is our favorite brand when it comes to yogurts. You can use any plant-based yogurt you like. Depending on how creamy and sweet it is you will need to adjust the amount of milk and sugar.
Plant-based milk. Soy milk, almond, coconut, oat, rice, or even walnut! Choose your favorite milk to add to your lassi. For this recipe, we add Alpro soy milk.
Lime. This is an optional ingredient. Yogurt, mango, and milk are all you need to make a Mango Lassi, but adding some other ingredients such as lime will make your Lassi perfect.
Sugar or maple syrup. You can add sugar if you like your Lassi sweet. If you are already adding sugary yogurt, you can skip this ingredient.
Cinnamon. This is our special touch, adding a bit of cinnamon to give our Mango Lassi a different taste. You can add other spices such as turmeric, nutmeg, or cardamon.
Toppings. A perfect Vegan Mango Lassi comes with some toppings. At home, crushed pistachios and fresh mint leaves. A winner combination.
Step by Step method
The first thing you need to prepare if you want to have your Mango Lassi fridge cold would be the mango. Cut into cubes and leave the mango freezing for a few hours. Alternatively, if you are using fresh mango, you can add a few ice cubes to the blender, or before serving. Once your mango is ready to go, follow these two simple steps.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender jug.
- Blend until you have a smooth consistency.
Mango Lassi can be served as a snack, which we do most of the time or a drink with your favorite meals.
Luca loves coming back home from school to a cold Mango Lassi. He calls it "Mango Lassic" and is his favorite snack at the moment. We don't add sugar when we make it for him as the sweetness from the fruit is more than enough. We find that this Indian yogurt-based drink is a perfect snack, especially for kids.
Serve your Lassi with some crushed nuts on the top such as pistachios, cashews, or walnuts. It gives your drink another texture and a bit of crunch.
FAQ and Tips
- Is Mango Lassi healthy? Yes, this is a healthy snack containing yogurt and fresh fruit. Yogurt is good for digestion and a good source of protein and probiotics. If you don't add sugar, this snack is perfect for the whole family. Mango Lassi made with no added sugar is a great snack for people with diabetes, prediabetes, or gestational diabetes.
- What can I use instead of fresh mangoes? If you cannot find sweet fresh mangoes, you can buy mango pulp.
- Can I make lassi with other fruits? Yes, you can make strawberry, banana, grape, and other fruits lassis. Choose your favorite seasonal fruits and turn them into the perfect lassi. You can as well use dried fruits.
Vegan Mango Lassi
- 2 ripe mango
- 300 g plant-based yogurt
- 100 ml plant-based milk
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Cut the mango into cubes and leave it freezing for a few hours. Alternatively, if you are using fresh mango, you can add a few ice cubes to the blender, or before serving.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender jug and blend until you have a smooth consisntecy.
- Serve with crushed pistachios and fresh mint.
- You can add different spices such as turmeric, nutmeg or cardamon.
|If you tried our recipe, please leave a comment or tag us on Instagram @Sixhungryfeet. We are always happy to see your creations!|