You won't find an easier way to cook your carrots to get the best flavor, texture, and presentation than this Air Fryer Carrots. This recipe is easy, affordable, and comes together in just 25 minutes!
Why is this an easy recipe?
- Simple ingredients. We only use fresh rosemary, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper to season the carrots. The combination of these four ingredients is simple yet fantastic for your air fryer carrots.
- No need to cut the carrots. Simply wash and peel your carrots, no need to cut carrots into smaller pieces. The secret is to buy carrots that come with the tops. These tend to be thinner and cook perfectly without the need to cut them into smaller pieces. If you are using organic carrots, you won't even need to peel them.
- The air-fryer does the work! As you won't be cutting the carrots, the air-fryer does most of the work here. While the carrots are cooking, you can focus on something else like your main dish, or making a delicious sauce for the carrots.
Our Air Fryer Carrots are:
- Family-friendly, our whole family loves this recipe.
- Easy to make
- A healthy side dish
- Quick to prepare
How to make the best Air Fry Carrots
Carrots. To prepare this super simple side dish, we prefer using organic carrots, as they won't need to be peeled and they are better for you! Just make sure they are washed properly under cold water. For this air fryer side dish, we prefer using carrots that come with the tops. Normally, they are thinner and take less time to cook, without the need to cut them into smaller pieces. You can also, use other types of carrots such as baby carrots.
Fresh Rosemary. This aromatic herb grows all year round at home, so we make the most of it! You can use dried rosemary, or other fresh herbs of your choice such as fresh thyme, basil, sage, or parsley.
Olive oil. To grease the carrots we use olive oil. You can use another type of vegetable oil, but we find that olive oil adds more flavor to your carrots compared to other vegetable oils such as avocado oil, rapeseed oil, or sunflower oil. Remember that when air frying, a little oil goes a long way, you won't need much oil for this recipe.
Spice mix. For spices, we use smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. As simple as it sounds! You can, of course, add other spices such as garlic powder, cinnamon, or cumin for extra flavor.
Step-by-Step Method for perfect air fryer carrots
The cooking process for this recipe cannot be easier:
- Wash and optionally, peel the carrots. Place them in a large bowl and add the spices, oil, and fresh rosemary. Coat the whole carrots with the spices and oil, making sure they are evenly coated. Preheat the air fryer for 3-5 minutes.
- Place the seasoned carrots inside the air fryer basket in a single layer, as you can see in photo number 2. Avoid placing them on top of each other, as they won't cook evenly. Cook the carrots at 200C (400F) for about 20 minutes, or until fork-tender with crispy edges. Turn them halfway through, to ensure even cooking.
Variations to our Recipe
- Use a different type of carrots. For this recipe, we like using thin carrots, which come with the tops. You can also use baby carrots, which won't need cutting, but the cooking time may be less, so you will have to adjust it. Another option is to use larger carrots, in this case, I recommend slicing them in half (length-wise). If you have access to purple carrots, make the most of it! They will make for a colorful and festive side dish.
- Change the seasoning. Our seasoning is fairly simple, but it works fantastic for this side dish. You can also, use other fresh or dried herbs, and spices to make your carrots to your taste. Some options are basil, parsley, thyme, sage, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, five-spice powder, cloves, etc.
- Cut the carrots. You can cut the carrots into smaller pieces. We recommend doing this if you want to make a bigger portion, as you will be able to fit more carrots into the air fryer. If you intend to make air fry carrot fries or carrot sticks, you will need to cut them into thinner slices that resemble fries. Check out this recipe for carrot fries.
These air-fried carrots are a delicious side dish for a busy weeknight dinner or a fancy festive meal.
When serving them for our festive menus, such as Christmas or Easter, we like adding some za'atar as a garnish. These carrots pair beautifully with our Vegan Wellington, or Nut Roast. Also, you can add some toasted nuts such as pinenuts, peanuts, or almonds.
Here are some other suggestions for serving your air fryer carrots:
Dipping Sauces: Pair your crispy air-fried carrots with zesty dipping sauces. Try a tahini-based sauce with lemon, garlic, and a pinch of cumin for Middle Eastern flair, or a spicy sriracha mayo for a kick.
Balsamic vinegar: Elevate the natural sweetness of the carrots with some aged balsamic vinegar, balsamic glaze, maple syrup, brown sugar, or a drizzle of honey (vegetarian).
Cheesy flavor: If you want to keep this side dish vegan, you can add some nutritional yeast for a mild cheesy flavor. Otherwise, you could add some vegetarian parmesan cheese.
Serve it as a snack: These air fryer carrots are a great option to have as a snack. Served with some hummus and pita bread, you can turn this easy side dish into a wonderful snack.
Store and Reheat
If you have leftover air fryer carrots, place them in an airtight container and keep the, in the fridge for up to three days.
You can reheat air-fried carrots in the air fryer for a few minutes at a lower temperature. This helps maintain their crispiness while warming them through.
FAQ and Tips
Don't overcrowd the air fryer
Avoid overcrowding the air fryer to ensure even cooking.
What type of Air Fryer do we use for this recipe?
We have a Ninja Air Fryer and are honestly very happy with it. It works well, and it has different functions that we often use such as reheating, or baking. If you are looking into buying an Air Fryer, we recommend checking this post from Homes & Gardens in which we participated, to avoid common buying mistakes.
Do I need to preheat the air fryer before cooking carrots?
Preheating is recommended for optimal results. Preheat the air fryer for about 3-5 minutes before adding the carrots. This helps ensure even cooking and a crispy texture.
Can I cook other vegetables alongside carrots in the air fryer?
Yes, you can mix vegetables in the air fryer. However, be mindful of cooking times. Carrots may take longer than softer vegetables, so consider cutting denser vegetables into smaller pieces for even cooking.
Easy Air Fryer Carrots Recipe
- 400 g carrots
- 2 fresh rosemary springs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wash and optionally, peel the carrots. Cut the green tops if any.
- Place the carrots in a big bowl and add the spices, oil, and fresh rosemary. Using your hands, combine the carrots with the spices and oil, making sure they are evenly coated.
- Preheat the air fryer for 3-5 minutes to 200C (400F).
- Place the seasoned carrots inside the air fryer basket in a single layer, as you can see in photo number 2. You can cook another batch if needed.
- Cook the carrots at 200C (400F) for about 20 minutes, or until fork-tender. Turn them halfway through, to ensure even cooking.
- Serve while hot, and optionally, season with some za'atar, or your chosen dressing or sauce.